Brix Book - Fruit Families
Page 27 of 35
FAMILIES OF FRUITS & VEGETABLES
|BRIX=QUALITY charts are not 100% complete nor finished. New researchers will establish values for unlisted produce. New farmers will re-discover long lost methods to grow higher quality produce. New agronomists will debate among themselves over the merit of a single degree brix.
In the interim, the home tester using a brix chart must sometimes substitute the value of a closely related item of produce. For instance:
- KALE, COLLARDS, and BRUSSELS SPROUTS are not normally listed. However, all three belong to the family BRASSICA, along with CABBAGE, and KOHLRABI.
- BLACKBERRIES are not listed, but RASPBERRIES are. The two are similar. Most people testing a blackberry use the raspberry values
- TOMATOES, EGGPLANT, POTATOES, and PEPPERS are from the NIGHTSHADE family.
- EGGPLANT, another nightshade, seldom has a listed value, but its relatives such as peppers, tomatoes, and potatoes do. You can generally interpolate a needed value.
- Where is DURIAN? PERSIMMON? ASIAN PEAR? ETHNIC PRODUCE? SPINACH? and many little known fruits.
Those, and many other produce items, must await further research. For instance, the U.S. based author has read market reports from the Southern Hemisphere in which he could recognize but a fraction of the names of the listed items. Hopefully, researchers in areas such as Australia will forward Brix=Quality values for their unique fruits & vegetables that can be included in future editions. If you have a special fruit that is unlisted, please reach out to the author or to
and you may quickly find the answer you need.